Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Time's Up


I didn't watch the Golden Globes. But yesterday I weeded through the online and radio coverage, a thought-provoking mix of righteousness and black couture gowns. At times my cynical side found it hard to distinguish pageantry from advocacy. Thanks to women like Lauren O'Connor, standing up against sexism and harassment now promises risk-free brand equity for Hollywood's elite.

As Gabrielle Union suggested in an interview last month,  we need to pass the microphone

So I was heartened to hear Oprah Winfrey (no stranger to branding, I know) thank "...all the women who have endured years of abuse and assault because they, like my mother, had children to feed and bills to pay and dreams to pursue."

Women like Christie Van and Miyoshi Norris from the Ford plants in Chicago. And the women of color in Alabama who bailed out our collective butts last month.  It's 2018, and  if we want to see a new day dawn then we better follow their example and get it in gear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment