Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Dotted Swiss




My Make Nine has pretty much gone off the rails, but I still decided to make a summer "weekend" dress.

This is the Given a Chance Dress from Decades Every Day, done in burgundy dotted Swiss. Lots of bang for the quick-to-sew buck, especially if you skip the pockets like I did.




For me dress pockets are a one-way ticket to bad posture instead of a design feature that accommodates my adventurous gamine lifestyle. Plus I remember my mother admonishing me to take my hands out of my pockets.

Speaking of my mother,  I still have the dotted Swiss dress that she made for my First Communion back in 1975. Because our parish was "progressive" we didn't wear veils and the host was home-baked verging on hardtack. I did however get a bakery cake with lots of icing roses so there's that.





3 comments:

  1. The French knot flowers on your communion dress are everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She embroidered them on the Peter Pan collar, too! And my brother was a baby at the time.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete