Monday, March 26, 2018

Minimal Monday: Stuff I Didn't Buy

Or, small exercises in restraint.


Clare Vivier Messenger Bag


Photo: eBay


This was the hardest to pass up. For sale at 1/4 of the retail cost on eBay and in oxblood, no less. I own a tiny CV cosmetic pouch--after 5 years it has a soft patina that rivals my daughter's beloved blanky. This bag comes pre-patina'd. So. tempting. 

I reminded myself that a) I recently switched to a smaller bag for comfort's sake and b) my Alabama Chanin class and trip to Denver was not free. Which brings me to....



Alabama Chanin Ribbed Dress

Photo: Alabama Chanin

Natalie Chanin's assistant looked so chic and comfortable in her ribbed dress layered under a tunic. A sale announcement arrived in my inbox 8 hours after I got home from Denver, still basking in the afterglow of class. 

Reality check: I have an AC skirt kit from the class I *just* attended, and feeling comfortable in these these garments would require an over layer. I don't have anything over-layer-y right now. I reminded myself that AC has periodic sales and instead decided to experiment with silhouettes using fabric, safety pins, and possible muslins. And now for a 180....


Earrings at Target 

Photo: Target


I love bakelite, lucite, and anything that looks like either of those. And what would be the harm in spending $8?

While clothing wears out, jewelry does not. I'd like whatever jewelry I acquire to stand the test of time regardless of how humble it is. Embarrassingly, the work conditions of the person who made these were only my second thought. Maybe that's why I this caught my eye...


Maria Antoinette Embroidery Kit

Photo: French General


This had a lot of nostalgic appeal for me--francophilia + tall ships. Buuuuttt... it doesn't reflect who I am right now. There are other ways to be whimsical. 


All of these things together would have cost half the price of my recent Alabama Chanin class. Unlike durable goods I've purchased, I have no regrets *at all* about taking this class. I'm incredibly grateful to be able to choose experiences over stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment