Friday, January 26, 2018

FO: Tamarack Jacket



This was the Beef Wellington of garment projects. I left nothing to chance: Muslin, test quilting, two practice welt pockets, basting basting basting. And I consulted every tutorial I could get my hands on: sewing in interfacing, shortening a separating zipper, installing a separating zipper.

I'm mostly happy with the result, especially since I had to "true" some of the edges after quilting. I've long wanted to make a Chanel-esque jacket and after the quilting on this project I can't decide whether it's feasible or totally insane.

But back to the Tamarack. I lengthened it by 5 inches or so, and installed a separating zipper instead of hooks or snaps. Main fabric is Moda Grunge in Onyx, lining is Alexander Henry, bias trim is Wright's, pockets are Kona black, and batting is Warm and Natural.


Lining is "Sisters of the Golden Temple"



Chevron quilting on the back

The quilting design is a deliberate imitation of Isabel Marant's Coby coat:



Karen has touched on the murkiness surrounding home-sewn copies. I'm rationalizing my actions with this quote from Yohji Yamamoto:

“Start copying what you love. Copy copy copy copy. At the end of the copy you will find yourself.”


I did not find myself, but I did affirm my love of textured neutrals.


Now on to make nine 2018!

2 comments:

  1. Love it and the directional quilting! And the Yamamoto quote :)

    Austin Kleon (https://austinkleon.com/steal/) has a lot of thoughts on creativity/copying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link--Bruce Mau's "Incomplete Manifesto" addresses imitation too (#35).

      http://flowwyberriehistory.blogspot.com/2013/10/first-things-first-manifesto-2000-and.html

      Delete