Monday, April 9, 2018

Minimal Monday: Stashing and Hoarding

Back when I was a quilter, a fellow guild member advised against buying fabric unless you were ready to start the intended project right away. Her reasoning was that "by the time you get around to sewing it's old hat."

(Aside: she appliqued an amazing block depicting her and her husband sitting in their 1957 Chevy.)

I implemented a self-styled version of her advice: I stashed particularly luscious fat quarters for applique but never free-ranged with yardage. A pile of fat quarters radiated new-crayon optimism, but an unused yard of anything felt like pressure. The gestalt is real, man.

My fear of yardage means I've mostly abstained from stashing garment fabrics. When I do it's a slippery slope towards hoarding. That rich eggplant doubleknit with unforeseen hair-shirt properties? Stashed underneath five-year-old jersey scraps that would make great neckbands or underwear or sleeves. And as for yarn...I have leftovers from itchy scarves and sweaters that have all found new homes.

Mindfully decluttering my stash would mean coming to terms with wasted money--I would add time to that. Jennifer of Simply + Fiercely suggests "writing it off" as an investment in well-being. That lessened the blow of these donations:



Take-away: no more wool. A good lesson, although next time I want to invest in my well being I'll read a book or get a facial.

Do you have a stash?


No comments:

Post a Comment