Monday, May 14, 2018

Minimal Monday: Repair or Re-purpose



These sandals are less than a year old and the heel straps have started to separate from the insole. They turned out to be delicate shoes and I do not lead a delicate life. I've passed my clodhopper shoe-size onto my teenager, who steps on my heels at least once a week. (But hey, at least she's willing to be seen with me in public.)

In the interest of due diligence I'm taking them to the shoe maker to see whether they can be repaired, even though the location of the tear suggest that I'll just have to wear them as long as I dare. When I can  no longer trust the straps to stay on, I might lop them off completely and turn them into Worishofer-esque slides like the ones my elderly neighbors wore while they hosed off their sidewalks.

But I don't think I'll replace them with a different pair of sandals. I recently read How I Somehow Started Saving Money When I Spent More on Clothes. I'd amend the title to read "when I bought fewer, higher quality clothes."

These sandals were ~$100 on sale (Amour des Pieds typically retail for ~$200 per pair.) The very gently-used Saks ballet flats that cost me $15 are on their fifth summer and I wear them several times a week, 5-6 months of the year. They'd retail for around $125 new.



I don't expect that this small decision not to replace my sandals will put me into a new spending bracket, but it will be interesting to see whether I feel the need for another pair of shoes when the time comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment