Tuesday, January 2, 2018

visible mending: gray cardigan




I picked up a great vintage cardigan back in October. It's 100% merino with a substantial drape and smart pockets. Recently I snagged it on the edge of drawer and it developed two teeny-tiny holes (the larger was ~ .5").

Inspired by the works of Tom of Holland and Celia Pym, I decided to make this my first visible mending project.  (Recommended: a tutorial from everyone's favorite white-collar felon.) I used a variegated perle cotton, size 8.





I feel comfortable wearing the finished product out on errands, but not necessarily to my casual-ish non-profit workplace (although the head of the organization would probably think it was cool). I'm not exactly sure why that is. Maybe because my two relatively small repairs look like, well, repairs, instead of the deliberate-seeming ornamentation I've admired on holey-er garments like this one:

photo: Rebecca Earley


Or maybe I just need to own the look instead of waiting for a plague of moths.

Would you wear visible mending to the office? 



No comments:

Post a Comment